Sunday, February 12, 2012

So, the battle had begun and is ongoing. The defensive war on gluten for Arianna. My first grocery shopping trip for Arianna lasted almost three hours. I like to help my daughter because she works full time and two other children. I am retired and am happy to shop and cook for Arianna.
The books and web sites I visited said that grocery store employees can help call manufacturers for you to determine if a product is gluten free. REALLY! ?
No help from  employee Gen X slackers made me mad. How dare they pull this slacker crap on ME.  I am a BabyBoomer. WE invented slacker-ness.  We wouldn't go to war. We wouldn't conform. We wouldn't wear a bra.  Better to go without and let our boobs bounce free in the wind - even though now they look like two tube socks hanging down BECAUSE we wouldn't give in to the Man or supportive  spandex.  Of course if the hippies of our generation had been told by Pharoah to build the pyramids we would have thrown down our tools.  The aliens can build 'em, but we're NOT! Laziness or stubborn political/social views - hard to tell.
After two hours I only had grapes in my basket. I was afraid to feed her anything. I used my cell phone constantly in the aisles of the grocery stores. Her supper was cheese - not pre slliced. Gluten free crackers and grapes.
I have since made friends with the manager of Fresh Market here in Huntsville, Alabama. He is always willing to call manufacturers for me and order anything I want to try for Arianna .  I have offered to have his baby but thank God he turned me down with a laugh, as I don't think I have any girlie parts left that still work. Also God, Allah, Buddha, Moses, Krishna, or Elvis designed destiny for me to meet up with  an assistant manager of a local Kroger store. She has a Celiac daughter and has much experience dealing with this problem. She is the best! She happened upon me standing in front of the gluten-free food section with GF cookbook in hand blubbering away.  She stopped to help this 60 year old 5'2" Grandma with a hug and just the information I needed.  She gave me confidence that I wouldn't kill my beloved granddaughter if I made dinner for her. Yes Arianna would eat more than grapes and cheese and crackers for dinner tonight!
 That evening I made Mrs. Lemur's GF Mac and Cheese. I added grated sharp cheddar cheese (must be hand grated from a solid  block, not pre-cut). I made steamed brocolli in a stainless steel pot ( cookware cannot be teflon or coated but glass is good along with stainless steel). I made a broiled chicken breast,washed,salt and peppered, on an olive oil coated stainless pan in the oven.  The oven had been totally cleaned and sanitized so that no cross contamination can occur from the miriad of gluten things I had baked over the years. Arianna ate like we have never seen her eat before. I was so happy but in an instant, Arianna's little brother threw his gluten-infested roll in her plate! New plate and more food  served to Arianna.  It is clear the other children will have to understand they cannot touch her plate, her food, her napkin or utensils.
  We will save Cross Contamination for another time as it is the scariest thing imaginable.You must be 21 years of age or older and have a tough constitution. It reminds me of  seeing a poster of a dust mite in a Doctor's office once.  What could this monster be? I had one and a half college degrees, read a lot, fancied myself as a cerebral person but I had never seen such a creepy ,malevalent creature as this. Life was so nice before I knew these creatures are everywhere crawling on us , eating our dead skin cells.  I'm here to tell ya', cross contamination is even creepier.

No comments:

Post a Comment